Abskur is an atmospheric game. The goal is to find the three hidden numbers in the level which you can only locate through the sound they make. Meanwhile you must avoid the three enemies, which are also the only light source in the level. 

Project Information



Project Website: foxki.itch.io/abskur
Date: 2th semester (2016)
Duration: 2 months
Team Size: 3 people
Technology: Unity 3D, C#, Photoshop, audacity
Constraints: Make a vertical slice of a finished 2D game. Strong focus on Game feel, sound, and visual.
My Part: The main parts of the development were: the coding of the game, visual development, sound and level design. We all worked on the different parts of the game, some of the areas, we developed together, like the level design, recording sounds. Here are some of the things that I did in the game: Writing the shaders which made the old film look, developing fake screen shots for the German expressionist look, path finding algorithm for the sound, player character and more.

What I learned


Abskur was my first real game project. I learned how games are generally made, how important teamwork and time management is and the importance of a design goals. The most valuable thing that I learned however was the strong presence of Game feel and how it is made.


Making of

Building up our teamwork, we always tried to communicate on regular basis. We used analog pieces to communicate our ideas as fast as possible. Using the same principle we made weekly plans. What helped the most however was using a design board to keep all interests aligned.

Members: Jonas Tyroller, Lenja Kaufmann, Shahriar Shahrabi

Abskur won the second place in the mb21. It was also invited to Budapest for a partner Event. With Abskur we also attended Quo Vadis 2017, Makefair 2017, HTW Game Design Game space.

The sound design of Abskur had different areas of development:

We recorded our own foley sounds and looped them. We programmed a priority sound algorithm, to always have a clear mix and make sure the player hears what needs to be heard the loudest. We wrote algorithm to change the sound properties such as pitch and volume when the player moves in the right direction. We wrote a path finding algorithm which determined how behind the wall a sound source was to applying an occlusion sound effect.

Following the suggestions of our professor we decided to use the German Expressionist style for Abskur. Following that I did a series of color, texture, shapes and value studies from the Cabinet of Doctor Caligari and the student of Prague, which I tested in a fake screen shot.

To speed up the level design process, we used analog means. We made a box with a hole at the top where a camera could fit through. Then we would set up the level elements we thought could work, shine light on it and see how the shadows behave. Testing many different shapes, we made a level with block which we made in Unity.